Princeton Students Plan Protest Over Financial Aid Revisions

By Gay Seidman

Students at Princeton University held a rally yesterday to protest the administration's proposed financial and policies, while at Brown the student strike against the administration's proposed budget cutbacks continued with little change in student or administration position.

G.K. Msalme a representative of Princeton's ad hoc Committee Against Tuition Increase, said yesterday that although scholarship at Princeton would be increased proportionately to the $625 tuition hike, students also will be expected to earn more through summer and term jobs. He said he felt those would place on unfair burden on lower income students."

"Summer jobs just aren't available," Msalme said adding that he fears the tuition increase will deter third world and minority students from applying to Princeton. Yesterday's rally reportedly drew 350 students, and a larger demonstration is planned to coincide with the board of trustees meeting today.

Robert K. Durkee, assistant to Princeton's president said yesterday that the administration's position on the budget is "unlikely to change."

"There's no way we can rescind the tuition increase and the scholarship increase is already approved," he said.

Durker said however, that students who are unable to find summer jobs will have their financial and packets adjusted accordingly.

Ground Rules Discussed

At Brown, student and administrative representatives met for two hours yesterday to discuss ground rules for negotiations on the proposed budget cutbakcs.

The cutbacks would reduce the amount of financial and given by the university and the number of non-tenured faculty, and would accompany a tuition hike of $400.

"Nothing substance was discussed." Harry G. Broadman a representative of the students condition that organized the boycott of classes said. "No statements were made and everyone left feeling frustrated."