Tennis Squad Destroys Yale In a 14-1 Rout

The Harvard tennis team roared back from last Saturday's disappointing loss to Columbia and destroyed a mediocre Yale team by a lopsided 14-1 score yesterday at the Palmer Dixon courts.

"The match was actually a good deal closed than the score indicates," Harvard coach Jack Barnaby said last night. "It was just one of those games where we had a little bit of an edge all the way down the ladder."

The highlight for the Crimson squad was the play of freshman Todd Lundy. After dropping heartbreakers last weekend to Penn and Columbia, Lundy responded yesterday by taking his out-closed Eli opponent in two quick sets. "He was simply devastating," Barnaby said.

One of the few close matches of the day was at number four, where Harvard's Hugh Hyde came from behind in the first set to win it, 7-6, by taking an exciting best-of-nine tiebreaker. Hyde ten cruised to an easy 6-2 victory in the second set.

Bulldogs Muzzled

In two other key matches, Gary Reiner at number one and captain John Ingard at number three both easily overpowered their Bulldog opponents to give the racquetmen a lead they never lost.

Of the ten singles matches and the five doubles matches played, the only Eli victory came in the number two doubles match.

The freshman squad also defeated Yale yesterday, but by a much closer 5-4 margin. Ned Bacon, Mark Panarese, Art Scherer and Karl Bostic all won their singles matches, then Scherer and Bostic teamed up to win their doubles match and lead the Yardlings past the Bulldogs.

Today, the Crimson varsity netmen will take on a tough Brown team at 2 p.m. on the Palmer-Dixon courts.

Recommended Articles

Racquetmen Make or Break Season This Weekend
It will all happen in less than 80 hours. Due to a strange twist in this year's Ivy League tennis
Sweating It Out at Palmer Dixon
There is something vital about one-to-one confrontations in sports. The subtle tension involved when Nolan Ryan challenges Reggie Jackson with
Racquetmen Finish Season With 6-3 Dartmouth Win
The tennis team closed out its season yesterday with a 6-3 win over Dartmouth. The team finished second in the
Anchors Aweigh Against Navy Today
If you want to catch one of the best free shows in town, gobble down a quick lunch after Ec
Courtmen Blitzed In Southern Trip But Still Improve
As was expected. Harvard's rebuilding tennis team fared poorly during its Southern trip, losing four of five matches, but coach
Keep Your Eyes on Men's Tennis
On a campus with the most varsity sports in the country, it is easy to overlook the achievements of certain teams.