'Cliffe Tennis Team Downs Smith, 7-3

Ends Season on Winning Note

By James W. Reinig

The Radcliffe tennis team closed out its season on a cold afternoon in Northhampton yesterday as it defeated Smith, 7-3.

"It was freezing cold," Radcliffe number three player Denise Thal said yesterday. "Well, I don't know if it was that cold," Captain Lissa Muscatine added, "but it definitely wasn't spring."

The cold did not hurt the performance of Smith number one Gall Awad, though, as she dispatched Muscatine, 6-2, 6-3. Awad was ranked second in New England last year in the 18 and under division.

The Crimson's Suki Magraw won her match at two in a contest that went three sets, 6-3, 1-6, 6-0. Denise Thal won easily at three in two sets while Radcliffe number four Rita Funaro took her match over Lisa O' Brien 5-7, 6-2, 6-2.

Ingrid Sarapuu playing at five in the place of Maude Wood who did not make the trip handily won, 6-3, 6-3. Radcliffe number six Ann Koufman was the only singles loser for the Crimson as she lost to Elizabeth Sawyer, 6-4, 6-0.

Muscatine and Thal played a strong top doubles match to win 6-2, 7-6 over Awad and Avery Hughes. Muscatine and Thal will be Radcliffe's brightest hopes in the Ivy (and Seven Sisters) Tournament to be held at Vassar this weekend. Last year the duo stormed through the field only to lose to a strong Princeton pair in the finals of the tournament.

Magraw and Funaro won their match on a tiebreaker in the third set of the match while the third doubles team of Koufman and Katherine Fulton lost their match on the tiebreaker, 5-4, in the third set. Sarapuu and Janet Clark won their match 6-2, 6-0.