Med School Admissions Policy May Be Age-Discriminatory

By David B. Hilder

The Harvard Medical School may be practicing age discrimination in violation of Massachusetts law, officials of the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination said yesterday in response to a statement made yesterday by the chairman of the Medical School admissions committee.

Dr. Leon Eisenberg, professor of Psychiatry and chairman of the Medical School Admissions committee, said yesterday. "When applicants are much over 30, they have to have extra qualifications for us to admit them."

Louise Eckert, director of the sex and age division of the MCAD said yesterday that on the basis of Eisenberg's statement, "That would seem to be a discriminatory practice."

Leonard F. DePaola, general counsel for the MCAD, last night said he agreed with Eckert's assessment, but added he would not want to judge the case at this time because it might prejudice a future complaint against the Medical School.

In response to DePaola's statement. Eisenberg said last night, "I do not think it is discriminatory to consider the life accomplishments of the applicant when he applies to medical school if he has been out of college for a number of years."

He said, "The pool of applicants is extraordinarily gifted, so you look for a record of substantial performance in some other field after graduation from college."

Other members of the Medical School admissions committee refused to discuss admissions policy yesterday, saying that Eisenberg was the only spokesman for the committee.

Eisenberg also said yesterday that age does play a part in the Committee's decisions on applicants over 30.

He added, "I think when the age of the applicant is much advanced. It just doesn't seem to make much sense" to admit him or her to medical school because they would have reduced time in service to society.

DePaola said last night that he did not know of any court or state commission which had upheld that defense of discrimination against applicants over 30.

Adequate Medical Care

He said the Medical School "may well be able to demonstrate that there are so few doctors now practicing that they must admit younger applicants to provide adequate medical care for society in the future."

DePaola acknowledged that Eisenberg's reasoning might be a possible defense, but didn't know whether the MCAD would accept it.

Eisenberg said yesterday he thought