Cohabitation Is Not a Problem, Masters of Six Houses Claim

By Brooks H. Peed

Six House masters said yesterday that they do not feel the need to issue any sort of written policy statement regarding tutor cohabitation within their Houses, because cohabitation is not a problem.

William R. Hutchison, master of Winthrop House, included a paragraph in his letters of appointment last week to Winthrop's resident tutors for next year stating that in accepting their positions, the tutors must realize that they are not to cohabit with other tutors, students or outside persons.

'Constraints'

Hutchison said in the letter that he was reminding the tutors of these "constraints on your privacy and personal freedom" because of "past difficulties" indicating there had been cases of tutor cohabitation in Winthrop.

Hutchison said last night his feelings on the matter are expressed in a letter to the editor that will appear in The Crimson tomorrow.

"Our policy with tutors is not to assign University space to couples who are not married," Kenneth R. Andrews, master of Leverett House, said yesterday. "We deal with such behavior when it infringes upon the rights of others, but we haven't had any problems," he said.

"There haven't been any instances at North of tutor cohabitation," Joan Keenan, co-master of North House, said yesterday.

"It is made clear to the tutors not to have what are called meaningful relationships with the undergraduates in the House," she said. "It is one of the questions that is planted and then followed up on so that it will be explained to them. But as far as any other boyfriend or girlfriend, there was never anything raised."

Another master, who wished to remain anonymous, said yesterday. "I think most of the masters would see Hutchison's actions as proper and they would agree with him, but not all of them.