Crimson Defeats Eagles, 6-5

Lynch Wins It in Ninth

By James W. Reinig

A ninth inning single by Mike Lynch driving in Tommy Joyce propelled Harvard to a 6-5 victory over Boston College yesterday afternoon of Soldier's Field.

B.C. relief pitcher Bill Rune walked the first tow men he faced in the ninth inning and Lynch, a third string first baseman in his premier varsity starting effort, stroked a single to right field to bring joyce home from second.

The Crimson took an early 2-0 lead in the second inning when joyce reached on a fielder's choice, captain Dan Williams walked and Lynch connected for a single with both runners scoring on the play.

Boston College struck back with three runs in the top of the third as Crimson starter Don Driscoll walked catcher Paul Santilli. Outfielder Steve Johnson and third sacker Paul O'Neill singled, scoring santilli. Al Bassignani reached on an error by Lynch and Johnson scored on the play. Greg Stewart sacrificed O'Neill home for the third B.C. score in the frame.

Harvard got the three runs right back in the bottom of the third. Lead-off batter Fran Crowin walked and Ed Durso sacrificed him to second. Barry Cronin, who was playing in the outfield in the place of Driscoll, singled Fran Cronin to third.

Jimmy Thomas hit the ball to the second baseman, who bobbied the ball and let Fran Cronin take in another Crimson run. Joe Sciolls slugged a long fly to center advancing Barry Cronin to third and Thomas to second. Joyce then stroked a single scoring Cronin and Thomas.

The Eagles picked up a run in the fourth and in the fifth to tie the came, setting the stage for Lynch's last inning heroies. Lynch was playing first in the place of Leon Goetz, who was hurt yesterday in a collision with Tufts catcher Mike Russo Goetz, usually an outfielder, was holding down the spot in place of Leigh Hogan, is still hurt a hockey injury. Both Goetz and Hogan are expected to return for Friday's key ECAC match with Pennsylvania.

Chilly Players

The contest was played in a Dumbing wind, much like Monday's game. Both teams suffered from cold hands, committing a total of eight fielding miscues. Every infielder for the Crimson flubbed at least once with Durso, off to a rocky start, making two errors.

"Another reason we make those errors." Harvard coach Loyal Park said, "is that we weren't charging the ball. It's a gamble to play these games right when we get back, but today's was a helluva win."