Faculty Approves Strauch Proposals

By Margaret A. Shapiro

The Faculty, in a near-unanimous decision, yesterday voted to adopt the major recommendations of the Strauch Committee, a move that will institute equal access admissions for the Class of 1980 pending the approval of the Radcliffe Trustees and the Governing Boards.

The Faculty did not approve the whole Strauch report, but only a three-part motion calling for equal access admissions beginning with applicants applying next fall for admission to the Class of 1980. Joint Harvard-Radcliffe Standing Committees on Admissions and Scholarships, and annual and three year reviews of equal access as specified in the Strauch report.

The motion makes no mention of recommendations in the report for substantial representation of both sexes among the teaching faculty and administration, that prizes and fellowships be awarded under a policy of equal access and that Harvard and Radcliffe admissions offices be joined.

'Does Not Satisfy'

Barbara G. Rosenkrantz associate professor of History and Science and master of Currier House said yesterday and Strauch Report "does not seem to satisfy the needs or goals" the committee set for itself, adding that "the report is incomplete if we only vote on the area of equal admissions" and not the entire report.

Dean Rosovksy said yesterday that the motion on the Strauch report confined itself to questions that the Faculty can legistate precise things rather than a statement of principle."

He also said that he expected equal access to begin with the Class of 1980 as the report recommended but that "whether or not that is possible is dependent on administrative problems" that changed admission processes might cause.

Karl Strauch chairman of the committee that drew up the report and professor of Physics said at the meeting his committee decided on the recommendations in its report as the way "for Harvard to best fulfill its commitment to men and women."

He said he thought the number of men and women in the Class of 1980 "will not be significantly different from the one that came here this fall" despite equal access but said he expected the number of women to increase within the next few years.

Facultys discussion of the Strauch Reports recommendation which lasted for one hour with the chants of protesters demonstrating outside for one-to-one admissions audible, raised few objections to the proposals.

However, Harvey C. Mansfield Jr. '53, professor of Government, said at the meeting he felt that "equal access is in fact preferred access for women and women who do manly things" such as concentrating in the sciences or athletics.

Alan E. Heimert '49, master of Eliot House and chairman of the English Department said yesterday he thought equal access "meant a better qualified student body."--

Rosovsky said the Radcliffe trustees are expected to discuss the strauch recommendations at the end of April and that the Corporation will probably meet to discuss them at one of its next meetings.

At the meeting yesterday the Faculty also voted to accept a motion requesting that President Bok to appoint a Standing Committee to regulate the use of biologically hazardous material