Red sox Stomp Brewers, 5-2; Tony c. singles First Time Up

By Andrew P. Quigley

The Boston Red Sox got off on the fight track for the 1975 Season with a 5-2 victory over the Milwaukee Brewers before a jampacked opening day crowed at frosty Fenway Park.

The big focus of attention was Tony Conigliaro, who returned to baseball after a three-year absence. Tony c., the Sax designated hitter, exhibiting the sarne flair for the dramatie he has exhibited throughout his career, punched a clean line drive single on his first time at bat in three years to the thunderous approval of the Fenway crowed Conigliaro didn't fare as well in his other times at bat, grounding our three times.

The other spotlight of the day was on the Brewer's designated hitter. Hank Aaron, who appeared in his first American League game. Aaron received a walk from Red Sox pitcher Luis Tiant his first time up, to the disapproval of the fans, but went 0 for 3 the rest of the day, including a ground, out in the eighth inning with two men on base.

Double Thievery

The Red Sox got a run in the first when Carl Yastrzemski, who had reached base on a fielder's choice, was singled to third by Conigliaro. The Sox then successfully perpetrated a double steal on the napping Brewer infield for the tally.

The Sox added another run in the second inning. Dwight Evans and Bob Montgomery led off with back-to-back singles, and after Rick Burleson struck out. Doug Griffin got an infield hit that scored Evans.

Milwaukee answered back in the third with a home run from Robin Yount, but the Sox put the game away with three runs in their half of the third.

Yastrzemski began the third frame for the Beanies with a double, and after two groundouts by Conigliaro and Rico Petrocell, Frans drew a walk Montgomery, who so far this spring is giving every indication that he can do the job for Boston until Carlton fisk returns, delivered the key blow, a double into the left field corner scoring Yaz and Evans. Rick Burleson subsequently singled Monty home sending Brewer starter Jim Slaton to the shewers.

Master Tiant

With the way Tiant was pitching, the Sox 5-1 lead was never threstends. EI Tiante, who is off to his best spring in three years with the Red Sox, was masterful, scattering eight hits.

The Brewers touched Luis in the seventh for their second run on a George Scott double and Darrell Porter single, but that's all they could muster after Yount's home run. Milwaukee threatened in the eighth, putting rungers on second and third with one out, but Tiant got Aaron to ground back to the mound. The dangerous Scott ended the threat with a harmless pop up.

Underrate Sox

So the Red Sox start out the season with an impressive 5-2 win, and the fans will now be predicting a pennant after this one game. The preseason experts do appear to have underrated this Boston team, especially if rick Wise and Reggie Cleveland come to form, and the Sox stay reasonably close until Carlton Fisk returns.

Rookie Freddy Lynn, who twice hit drives sending Brewer outfielders to the walls, was impressive, and Dwight Evans looks like all-star material. Yaz and the infield was solid, and Tony C. still has that same dangerous Fenway swing.