Area College Students Fight Cutbacks

Students Rally For More Spending

By Mary B. Ridge

WILLIAM--The small band of Brandeis University students who barrleaded themselves, inside Pearl man Hall Tuesday morning refused to evacuate the building despite receiving a court injunction yesterday which ordered them to leave.

"One Two Three Four 'We're Not Lakin' Any More" chanted the crowd of about 400 students who marched in front of the building in a show of support for those inside.

The Brandeis protest, led by the Student Action Committee (SAC), centers on student cost increases scheduled for next year, cutbacks in funding for remedial education programs, the non-minority status of Asian-American financial aid applicants and reductions in faculty.

Ron Neif spokesman for the Brandeis administration, said yesterday that there had been student representation on all of the committees which made cuts in the budget for the coming fiscal year.

Neif said the administration had already talked to the students and "we're not going to negotiate the same demands all over again."

Marver H. Bernstein, president of Brandies met with SAC leaders yesterday Neif said that Bernstein would not negotiate on any of the issues.

Benjamin W. Tai, a SAC spokesman, said yesterday that SAC would "try to stay flexible and negotiate in good faith, but we will stay until an agreement is reached."

Court Orders

Earlier in the afternoon, there was a tense moment when the sheriff of Middlesex County. John J. Buckley, arrived at Pearl man Hall to serve injunctions to three student negotiators. Jaime O. Perez, Martha Hernandez and Lawrence Rothbard.

The marching and chanting crowd hushed expectantly and clustered around the doorway as Buckley approached them with the court order. Buckley left when SAC members around the doorway told him that Perez, Hernandez, and Rothbard were not in the building and delivered the orders to their unoccupied rooms

"It's out of our hands, if the judge finds the group in contempt. Any action he takes in his business." Neif said.

SAC spokesman Tai said. "If the police arrive, we have several contingency plans. We are ready.