Bok Cautions That Federal Funding Binds Universities

President Bok said in a speech at the Medical School last night he fears that private universities are "not prepared to cope with the dangers imposed by the federal government."

Bok cited excessive bureaucratic burdens and costs, rapid changes in federal policy, and a bias to solve immediate social problems as threats to the "loose collection of autonomous scholars" who make up the university.

Federal Fund

Speaking on the future of the private university. Bok told the approximately 75 guests that the potential for federal influences on private colleges and medical schools is "inevitable and perfectly justified" because these schools are dependent on federal funds.

But he warned that regulations such as health-manpower legislation, that provide mandatory medical service in understaffed areas of the country, do not serve the best interests of the medical community by ignoring the strengths of certain unique Institutions.

Robert H. Ebert, dean of the Medical School, said last night he agreed with Bok that legislators must make a realization that it will lose a "substantial resources" if it continues to treat all untraditional equally.