Crimson Linksters Victorious Beat Williams and Holy Cross

By Michael K. Savit

Pleasant Valley Country Club is the lone New England golf course where the PGA tour makes an annual stop. Last July, a rookie by the name of Victor Regelado sank a birdie putt on the eighteenth hole to defeat Tom Weiskopf and capture his first professional win.

Yesterday, in a tri-meet contested between Harvard, Holy Cross, and Williams at the same course, the action wasn't quite as exciting as a Weiskopf-Johnny Miller-Jack Nicklaus fight to the finish, but it wasn't bad either.

The Crimson emerged with its second consecutive tri-meet victory, defeating the Crusaders by six strokes and improving its season record to 7-2.

The meet was played under clear blue skies, the best weather the golfers have enjoyed thus far this spring. "There were a lot of flies and May bugs out on the course." Harvard's Alex Vik said yesterday, "even though there weren't that many birdies."

Birdies Everywhere

One man, however, who found the birdies in abundance was Crimson co-captain Tom Yellin. Yellin had three of them on the final four holes en route to a 77. The leading Harvard linkster was not Yellin, though, but senior Peter Zurkow, who had his best day of the spring by shooting a 75, Zurkow was deadly on the greens needing, just 27 putts to complete his round.

Vik and Scott McNealy added identical 79's, while Jon Ellis, who along with Yellin, Vik, Zurkow, and co-captain Steve McConnell will represent the Crimson in this weekend's Eastern Tournament at Yale, carded an 80.

Warmup

This tournament served basically as a warmup to this weekend's important meet. Harvard, which has already won the Ivy League and Greater Boston Tournaments, will get an opportunity to revenge its sole looses of the spring, at the hands of Yale and Princeton last Thursday at Brookline. The Tigers and the Elis, as well as all other golfing powers on the East coast will be in New Haven this weekend.

Only Victor Regelado will be missing.