PBH Supports DISC Proposals, And Brimmer Reaffirms Stand

By Peter A. Spiers

The Phillips Brooks House Association (PBH) yesterday declared its support for the DuBois Institute Student Coalition (DISC) proposals that recommend student and community involvement in the planning of the institute.

In a letter sent yesterday to top University administrators and members of the Faculty Advisory Board of the DuBois Institute, the PBH cabinet unanimously supported three DISC recommendations--a complementary relationship between the Afro-American Studies Department and the institute, institute responsiveness to the concerns of the black community and student participation in institute planning.

Andrew F. Brimmer, chairman of the advisory board and Ford Visiting Professor of Business Economics, who rejected major coalition proposals in a March letter, said last night the board's position was unchanged.

Brimmer said he does not think growing student support for DISC proposals would be discussed at the board's next meeting.

Other groups who have recently expressed support for coalition proposals are the North, South and Currier House committees. Education for Action, the Radcliffe-Harvard Women's Center and the Freshman Council.

Blenda J. Jackson, a member of the advisory board and associate dean for Administration at the School of Education, said yesterday that student unity behind one set of proposals might increase the willingness of the advisory board to meet with DISC leaders.

Timothy G. Massad '78 a member of the PBH cabinet said yesterday the DISC chairman asked PBH several weeks ago to support its proposals.

Requests for organizational backing are part of a campaign to enlist general student support for coalition recommendations. Peter S. Hogness '76 a coalition member said yesterday Hogness said he has been favorably surprised" by the high degree of student interest and support