Laxmen Explode By Williams; Bruckman Paces Crimson Win

By Richard J. Doherty

The Crimson lacrosse team spent the first three quarters of yesterday's contest with Williams soaking in the rays at the Business School Field and passively nursing a one-or two-goal lead. But when a tempestuous Ephman squad blew three quick tallies past Crimson crease-keeper Jim Michelson, Harvard responded with a scoring squall of its own, en route to a 15.9 victory.

Williams started things rolling by capitalizing on a one-man advantage and scoring the first of five power play goals for the Berkshire stickmen.

The Crimson bounced right back, however, as Bill Tennis, Bruce Bruckman and Bill MacKenzie all found the range to give Harvard a 3.1 lead.

Play see-sawed back and forth for the next two quarters with the men in purple managing a slim single goal lead going into the second half.

Four Left Feet

William's score at the close of the first 30 minutes came on a crazy play in which Harvard goaltender LeRoy Thompson fell during an attempted clear. Ephman captain Bob Pinkard scooped up the ball, waltzed by two defenders plagued with a bad case of left feet, and whipped a tally into the open net.

Harvard climbed back on top thanks to two more Bruckman goals, but as the final stanza got underway Williams was in no mood to concede to the Crimson's 8-6 lead.

Fire and Rain

In fact, the fun in the sun ended rather abruptly, as the visitors showered second-half goaltender Michelson with a three-goal scoring burst in the first two and one half minutes of play, to gain a 9-8 lead. But before you could quote Mark twain's analysis of New England weather--"If you don't like it, want a few minutes"--the Williams attack fell victim to a severe drought and the Crimson stormed back. "We finally broke out of the doldrums in the fourth quarter and poured it on," coach Bob Scalese said.

The Crimson's seven-goal flurry left the Ephman's defense in a fog. The laxmen used a new passing-concentrated offense in a, step-right-up-and-tally, scoring carnival. Bruckman notched the hat trick plus one in the afternoon outing and Kevin McCall and MacKenzie also found the opening three times Harvard's record is now 3-9.