Crimson Track Team Puts It All Together To Win GBC's

By Andrew P. Quigley

The Harvard track team finally put it all together yesterday to win the Greater Boston outdoor track championships at Boston College Stadium.

Harvard accumulated 111 points in the meet, with nearest rival Northeastern a distant second with 84 points. Boston College ended up with 60 points. Branders had 27. Boston University 21 and MIT and Tufts six each.

"We knew all along that we could do it," captain Steve Niemi said. "It was just a question of getting everybody healthy. This was the first time since the Army indoor meet really that we've had everybody fit."

It's hard to pick out just who the individual starts were for the Crimson, since Harvard placed in 19 of the 20 events, missing out only in the javelin.

Outstanding Participant

However, Sam Butler might well rank as the single most outstanding participant in the meet. Butler won the 440 low and 120 intermediate hurdles, and then anchored the winning Crimson mile relay, holding off B.C.'s class runner Keith Francis on the final leg.

"Sam really came through for us." Nienu said.

Vincent Vanderpool Wallace also won his two specialties the long jump and the triple jump.

Harvard swept the high jump with Mel (What else is new) Embree taking first and John McCullogh and Dan Sullivan finishing second and third respectively.

Steve Braun won the quarter mile with an excellent time of 49 seconds flat.

Jeff Campbell captured a second place in the mile with a time of 40. six seconds better than his own personal record.

Bill Okerman also took a second, racing the 880 in 1535.

In other running events, Jim Keele placed for the Crimson in the three mile with a 13:56 clocking marking the first time he ever ran the event in under 14 minutes. Steve Nemest and Bill Durrette finished fourth and fifth respectively. In the six mile. Dirk Skinner at Wayne Curtis copped third and fourth in the steeplechase, and Rodd Hooks placed in both the 1000 and 220 dashes.

"The runners came through for the first time." Niemi said, in something of an understatement. "They were stronger than they had ever been in the past and really pulled us through."

In the weight throws, Kevin McCafferty took a second in the shotput. Dan Jiggetts a third in the hammer and Dick Gillvery and Chris Queen were two and three in the discuss.

Harvard finished one, two and four in the pole vault, with Blayne Heckel winning the event.

"We had a feeling before the meet that we could beat them." Jiggetts said. "We were depending on certain people to come through and they did."