...'Cliffe Heavies and Lights to Race in Sprints

By Audrey H. Ingber

The Radcliffe crews will face strong challenges to their undefeated record this weekend when they go to Middlefield. Conn., to race in the Eastern Sprints on Lake Besick.

Eighteen boats will enter the varsity heavyweight heats on Sunday morning and six will qualify to row in the finals that afternoon.

Radcliffe has had better luck than last year at this time. since their toughest competition. Yale and Wisconsin will face each other in the morning heats while they face Syracuse and Williams Radcliffe defeated Williams by 11 seconds last weekend on the Charles on a 1000 meter course, the same length they will find at Lake Besick this weekend.

According to stroke of the 'Cliffe beat Barbara Norris, the crew has been working this week on last starts to prepare for the short course. The crew has been doing a lot of high cadence work this week hoping to move ahead at the start.

Number seven oarswoman. Alison Hall said, "This is the toughest race we'll have all season. Before we've entered the sprints having faced all the boats that will give us trouble. But we have only comparative times for Yale and Wisconsin.

Coach John Baker looks to Yale and Wisconsin as Radcliffe's strongest challenge in the regatta. "Wisconsin is the largest crew in terms of size and height I doubt they would spend all that money to send them here unless they had something, but we can't be sure about them because they don't race standard courses. Yale does have a better record than we do in terms of margins."

Yale has an undefeated record so far this year, and both teams have been getting similar times for the 1000 meter course. Princeton which will race in the third heat, fell to the Cliffe boat by two seconds in a chopps race Radcliffe also has three different oarswomen in the boat now.

Katy Moss at number six, said. "This is the race we've been looking forward to Yale has been remembering three defeats at the hands of Radcliffe last year and will be after us. But we've peaked for this race and we're reads for them.

The lightweight crews will also at Lake Besick in their sprints on Sunday afternoon They don't have any beats since only three other boats will row Radcliffe lightweight crews.

The lights beat B.C. by five and a half seconds earlier in the year, and Princeton by eight.

The Cliffe lightweights have had trouble keeping their cadence down. Stroke Mizzy Stokes said. "We have to learn that power doesn't come from high cadence, but from how you work together. It's hard to remember that in the middle of the race."

The lightweights have been racing heavies recently because of the searcity of lightweight crews in the area. Dottie Kent, captain of the squad, said. "We don't really like to race heavyweight crews. It doesn't mean very much in terms of lightweight competition."

Coxswain Barbara Pearce expressed the feelings of the rowers towards this weekend. "It we have a good race we should blow them off the water. But that doesn't mean it's going to be easy."