In Progress

Cambridge

Harvard will come to Roxbury next year, as formulated last March in the Masters' Plan for Boston School Desegregation, which pairs almost every Boston-area university with a city high school.

What the University will do for the community's schools this time around is not yet known, but close ties between the Graduate School of Education and Roxbury existed during the social activism of the sixties--and these ties, sources say, were the reason that Boston masters paired Harvard with Roxbury.

In the past the University reached Roxbury mainly through the Ed School's Center for Urban Studies and Master's degree in teaching programs: Ed School doctoral candidates taught Ed School student teachers in Roxbury, and the teachers in turn taught grade school children.

Similarly, the staff of the center was involved in the creation of new schools--federally funded in the sixties--and the development of new programs in others. Members of the center advised and helped plan curriculum for Roxbury schools.

With the coming of the Nixon administration funds for "social projects" grew scarce, and one-by-one the Ed School dropped its ties with Roxbury in the early seventies.

But with the backing of the federal courts, which ordered the masters' plan, there should now be few problems about obtaining money--the government probably will fund what the courts have ordered. And Harvard's Ed School--along with other divisions of the University--will probably be back in Roxbury next fall.

Red Line

If everything goes right, the MBTA Red Line will soon be extended from Harvard Square, via Mass Ave., all the way up to Arlington Heights.

The extension, expected to cost about $35 million, should receive a good deal of federal and state aid, and could be completed by 1980, sources said last week.

Black Cops

Black patrolmen in the Cambridge Police Department are finally nearing settlement of an 11-month case involving alleged discrimination in promotion practices.

Although those involved in the case declined to discuss specifics, there are indications that at least one black police officer will be promoted to sergeant.

The officers alleged they were denied promotions "due to racial practices and policies of the defendants."