Police to Give Fewer Tickets Around the Square This Week

By Gay Seidman

Most parking violators around Harvard Square will not be ticketed during the Commencement week, George Teso, director of traffic in Cambridge, said yesterday.

"We aren't charging on meter violations or other legal spaces, although flagrant violations like blocking fire hydrants and obstructing driveways will be prosecuted," Teso said.

The area affected by the cut-back is unclear, Teso said, because it is "a discretionary matter," done as a courtesy for Harvard. Teso said it has been a tradition to extend this courtesy at Harvard's request for at least as long as the 11 years he has been with the department.

'Much Appreciated'

Donald C. Moulton, assistant vice president for community affairs, said yesterday the University asks the traffic bureau and police department to be tolerant on the day of commencement, but he said "if they extend that to all week it's very much appreciated."

Teso said the University makes separate arrangements with the traffic bureau and the police department, both of which ticket parking violators in the area.

150 Fewer Cars

Lt. Joseph Borelli, the officer in charge of the traffic department of the Cambridge police, said yesterday the police have cut back their ticketing in the area by 150 cars fewer than usual so far this week.

He said there will be even a greater cutback in tickets today.

"We try to exercise good judgment about the violations," Borelli said, adding, "but we expect cooperation from the people around the Square as well.

Francis A. Pisani, chief of police in Cambridge, said yesterday he knew of no arrangement "with Harvard or anyone else" and the police department."