UNEQUAL EMPLOYMENT AT THE GSD

THE MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Three years ago the Graduate School of Design of Harvard University made a giant step forward and appointed three women instructors to the Department of Architecture. It was the first time in its relatively short history that we have been given a chance. (Women had been accepted in the other departments before.)

If there was uncertainty or indifference or questioning amongst faculty and students, it was neverthe less a positive action. Now, two years after this start, GSD seems to have regressed, as there is only one woman left in the Department of Architecture. It is sad that the other two apparantly didn't work out--but it seems inconceivable that they could not have been replaced by other women. The faculty ratio at the moment is 44:1.

It is utterly deplorable that a good school like GSD can still do this today and that Harvard University permits this to happen. This is a very sad and negative attitude in such an esteemed University. I hate to admit it, but this is my Alma Mater. Maria Funyo McVitty   M. Arch, Graduate School of Design, 1944