B-School Housing Will Be Completed By June Deadline

By Storer H. Rowley

Construction continues on four buildings and a garage that will make up Harvard's Soldiers Field Park, a 480-unit apartment complex scheduled for completion in June 1976.

Located near the Charles River on a 10-acre Harvard-owned site adjacent to the Business School, the complex is designed specifically for Harvard faculty, full-time non-teaching staff and graduate students in response to an extensive University survey of their housing priorities.

Russell F. Hill, director of the University Real Estate Office, said yesterday his department, in conjunction with the Department of Buildings and Grounds, will handle management of the $22.5 million project after its completion next summer.

The first of the four apartment buildings will be ready for occupancy in January 1976 and will contain 93 units. The buildings will descend in height as they approach the river, ranging from nine stories to three stories tall.

Eighty-three percent of the apartments will have terraces, private courtyards or balconies, most with a view of the river.

The complex will have a child care center with a daily capacity for 106 children between the ages of two months and five years.

Rents will range from $190 a month for a studio to $460 for a three-bedroom apartment.

The $22.5 million budget for the complex is financed through low interest 40-year tax exempt bonds, issued by the University, under the authority of the State Health Education Facilities Act. Hill said yesterday that as of June 3, construction was being completed well within the original budget.