Coop Gives $450 Contribution To HSA For 'Unofficial Guide'

By Martha Jewett

The Harvard Coop donated $450 to Harvard Student Agencies this summer towards the publication of the "Unofficial Guide to Harvard." Howard W. Davis, director of the Coop, said yesterday.

Davis said the contribution, which was approved by the charitable contributions committee of the board of directors of the Coop, was one of many the committee made last year.

"Charitable contributions were given to more than 25 different causes." Davis said, adding that the Coop also gave to the Afro-American Cultural Center and the United Fund.

Charitable contributions are a small portion of an "enormous" number of expenses deducted from the Coop's net profit, and are only about one-tenth of one per cent of total expenses," he said.

"If you had a refund of $20, the total contributions to everything made by the Coop would cost you 5 cents," Davis said.

"We decided a number of years ago that as the largest store in the Square, we should make contributions to various charities," he said, adding that Harvard affiliated activities do not necessarily have any priority over other solicitations.

Davis said the Coop, a profit making cooperative society with a membership of 68.41, made $23,885,000 in sales last year.

Davis and 11 student and 11 faculty or alumnae directors from Harvard Radcliffe. MIT, or the Episcopal Divinity School make up the committees which run the business.

The "Unofficial Guide" will be distributed free to incoming freshmen