Shinagel Gets Job Overseeing Summer School

By Nicholas Lemann

Michael Shinagel, a professor of English at Union College in Schenectady, New York, will assume a newly created administrative post at Harvard this year with supervisory power over the Summer School, sources said yesterday.

The job, which will probably carry the title director of continuing education, will also include supervision over Harvard's extension studies program and possibly ever special students as well.

Reportedly Unsuccessful

Thomas E. Crooks '49, director of the Summer School, was reportedly an unsuccessful candidate for the new job and will report to Shingel next year.

Shinagel, who is now living in Belmont, would not confirm or deny yesterday that he has accepted the new post. "There's nothing official," he said.

English Expert

A professor at Union College since 1967, Shinagel got his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1964 and is an expert on 18th-century English literature.

Crooks would not comment yesterday on Shinagel's appointment, saying. "I can't talk about it."

A special committee chaired by Peter S. McKinney, administrative dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, worked out a plan for the new job, screened candidates and selected Shinagel.

University extension program

The committee began to look into the possibility of centralizing all Harvard continuing-education programs last year, when Reginald Phelps '29, director of University Extension, announced his intention to retire. Eventually, Phelps said yesterday, the committee decided to "have someone in charge of all several programs in general."

Phyllis Keller, assistant dean of the Faculty, yesterday called the new post "an umbrella job."

The Summer School, the extension program and the special students program are all outside of Harvard's traditional degree-granting programs. All have in the past been headed by directors, not deans.

The extension program is primarily for part-time students older than college age but seeking a liberal arts education.

President Bok last week declined to comment on the new job, saying he cannot do so until it receives the final approval of Harvard's governing boards.