Pat McInally Breaks Left Leg While Scoring a Touchdown

By Jill R. Baron

Pat McInally '75 fractured his leg while scoring a touchdown in the College All-Star game in Chicago on Friday.

McInally injured his left fibula bone while catching a 28-yard pass from may have injured ligaments in his left ankle, which his doctors say may be more damaging.

McInally, reached last night at the Cincinnatti Bengals' training camp, said he was stretching for the end zone when he was tackled. He caught his foot and fell on top of it. He said he will be out of action for eight to ten weeks.

The game pitted the college graduates against last year's Super Bowl champs, the Pittsburgh Steelers. The future pros led after the first half, 14.7, until Pittsburgh made its expected comeback and won the game, 21 to 14.

Despite the injury, McInally left for the Bengals' training camp yesterday. He was a fifth-round draft choice for the team.

McInally said that he will remain with the Bengals for the year, although not as an official player. A clause in his contract states that the team carries 43 players, and he will not be counted as one of them although he will receive a full salary.

McInally added. "It was the most thrilling and the most disappointing day in my life, just being on the field, and then being carried off of it."