Shinagel Appointed to Oversee New Continuing Education Post

By Daniel E. Larkin

The Faculty officially announced the appointment of Michael Shinagel, professor of English at Union College in Schenectady, New York, to the newly created post of Director of Continuing Education yesterday.

As director, Shinagel will hold overall responsibility for the University Extension School, the Summer School, and the Office of Special Students. He will also succeed Reginald H. Phelps as Director of Extension Studies.

Dramatic Shift

Shinagel said yesterday there has been a dramatic shift in higher education across the nation to where part-time students now make up over half the national student body. As as result, he said, continuing education is the "most vital part of higher education presently, and will continue to be for the next decade."

Shinagel said he is "delighted" at the opportunity to work in this field and that he hopes to make Harvard more responsive to public needs that it has been.

President Bok has placed a high priority on continuing education, and creating this office is part of Harvard's attempt to adjust to this new trend, Shinagel said. The Department of Extension Studies annually enrolls about 9000 students.

Shinagel, an authority in 18th Century English Literature who has published several books in the field, will retain an appointment at Union College this year as Visiting Professor of English Literature to serve out his commitment to the school.

As a graduate student at Harvard in the early '60s, Shinagel served as a member of the College Board of Admissions Staff and as associate director of the Office of Graduate and Career Plans.