J.V. Icemen Crush Mass Bay C.C.

By David A. Wilson

The Crimson J.V. hockey squad stomped all over a scrappy outfit from Mass Bay Community College at the Watson Rink yesterday, 7-0, with Barry Wald registering the shutout.

The Harvard icemen mercifully spared their opponents for the first eight minutes of the contest, even letting Mass Bay play with the puck in the Crimson's end occasionally. But eight minutes into the period the onslaught began.

Dave MacKinnon drove down the left board, wriggled past a defender and passed into the slot. Steve Andrews was waiting and steered the puck into the net for the opening score.

MacKinnon picked up the second of his three assists six minutes later. The J.V. were in the process of changing on the fly when he hit John Marchand coming off the bench. Marchand let fly with a 20 foot slapshot from the right circle and the score was 2-0.

Mike Stewart tallied the next two goals on his way to a hat trick. In the closing minutes of the first period, Stewart stickhandled in past a defenseman and gently wristed the puck past the helpless netminder. Ken Farrish and Lyman Bullard picked up assists on the play.

The Mass Bay goalie was just recovering from shellshock as the buzzer sounded signalling the start of the second period. Harvard wasted no time in returning him to his former condition.

With 1:01 gone, the Bullard-Farrish-Stewart trio clicked again with Stewart driving home the puck from the front of the crease.

Farrish collected his third consecutive assist with six minutes left in the period. After blocking a shot at their own blue line, Harvard raced down the ice. The netminder was glassy-eyed by this point, and Mike McDonald slid a rebound by him as he writhed in the crease.

As the third period opened, everyone sensed a rout. The Crimson followed the scent, as they continued to completely dominate the action. By now the visiting club had been run ragged by their stronger, faster opponents.

Three minutes into the final third of the game, John Christensen sizzled a slapshot toward the goal from the left point. The ever present Ken Farrish banged home the rebound and it was 6-0.

Mike Stewart completed his hat trick and finished out the scoring at 8:33. Stewart took a pass at the left goalpost, swung all the way around the net and deposited a nifty wrist shot high in the net.