Radcliffe Hoopsters Show Effects of Holiday Layoff, Speared by Methodical Boston State Warriors, 36-33

Showing the effects of the long Christmas layoff, the Radcliffe basketball team was ambushed in Boston last night by Boston State's Warriors, 36-33.

The Crimson started strong and held a three-point lead several times in the first half. However, in the late stages of the first stanza, the Cliffe Cagers tired and had to retreat to the locker room at the contest's midpoint trailing 18-15.

A Potent Surge

A potent Crimson surge never emerged in the second half, as the Cliffe five was plagued by turnovers and fatigue. Meanwhile, Boston State patiently worked the ball in for good shots.

Despite their uninspired play, the Crimson still had a chance to pull the game out of the fire with 17 seconds left, behind by only three. An intentional foul was committed on a Warrior guard dribbling upcourt.

Radcliffe hoped to grab the rebound if Boston State missed the foul shot, but instead had to settle for a jump ball. Maude Wood snatched it, but by the time the Radcliffe five could get the ball downcourt, less than ten seconds remained, and the clock ran out.

Outhustled

The evening held few bright spots for the Crimson, as they were consistently outrebounded and outhustled. Three players tied for the Radcliffe scoring honors at 6 apiece: Kathy Fulton, Susan Hewitt, and Maude Wood.

The squad sorely missed the services of sidelined center Cheryl Gelzer.

The Radcliffe five will meet Bentley tomorrow afternoon in the I.A.B.