Pavlovich's Wife Arrested On Same Criminal Charge

By Jonathan H. Alter

The wife of Spiro M. Pavlovich II, the Harvard Law School student arrested last month for falsifying information on applications for federally-insured loans, was arrested in New Orleans last week on the same charge.

Monette Pavlovich, alias Cary Monica Cabot, surrendered to federal authorities January 21 after an eight-day search stemming from information Harvard passed on to the FBI.

According to a spokesman for the FBI, Monette Pavlovich, a first-year business student, is free on $5000 bail and awaiting arraignment. Her husband's case is presently pending before a grand jury in Boston.

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel for the University, said yesterday that after Spiro Pavlovich, alias Jason Scott Cord, was arrested, "rumors went around that someone else might be involved in the same thing."

Steiner said yesterday that admissions officers reading applications will be "slightly more suspicious than before," but noted that the great expense involved would preclude having any "fail-safe" system for preventing falsification.

"The incidents have been few and far between," he said, adding that the Pavlovich case has been particularly "unique."

Steiner added that while Pavlovich has not been officially dismissed, he expected disciplinary action shortly.

Audrey Pavlovich, a distant cousin of Spiro, told a reporter for the Law Record last month that she remembered the Pavloviches being married "two or three years ago."

When contacted yesterday she denied being related to Spiro Pavlovich and complained of the phone calls she was receiving from reporters.

William P. Homans '41, Spiro Pavlovich's attorney, said yesterday that he will not serve as Monette Pavlovich's lawyer.