The Crimson Comp: Three Scenarios

The Bastion-of-Pre-Professionalism Appeal

Journalism is a serious business--you're the eyes and ears of a community, so you can't be careless or lazy.

If you're a reporter, you've got to uncover all the facts and report them concisely.

If you're an editorial writer, you've got to persuade the community that your analysis of a news development, book, play, movie or dance performance penetrates below the surface, illuminating the basic issues or concepts involved.

If you're a photographer, you've got to be in the center of the action, not the periphery, and you've got to have a sharp eye, both through the viewfinder and later in the dark room.

And if you're selling advertising, you've got to be aggressive and meticulous. Otherwise, you're not going to make that first sale or hold on to your clients. And without advertising, no independent newspaper like the Crimson can survive.

The Crimson offers a comp three times a year--including one this fall--because we believe that Harvard and Cambridge need a daily paper, that this community deserves the best coverage we can give it. And we want to help you refine your talents and learn the inside of Harvard and Cambridge.