Carter Won't Pick A Series Winner; May View a Game

By Charles E. Shepard, Special to The Crimson

NEW YORK--Democratic presidential candidate Jimmy Carter is apparently sitting out the World Series in deference to his own hopes for victory on November 2.

Carter's press secretary Jody Powell said in an interview with The Crimson yesterday morning that he "cannot imagine" the former governor of Georgia getting involved in a "local dispute" like the upcoming series between the Cincinnati Reds and the New York Yankees, who clinched the American League pennant Thursday night.

Powell also conceded that Carter is loathe to take sides in a conflict between two "fine, outstanding electoral vote" blocs, Ohio and New York states.

Together the two states command 66 electoral votes, about one-quarter of the total Carter needs for success on election day.

Powell noted in the interview that Ohio--where Carter will campaign today in three cities, including Cincinnati--is always "a fight for any Democrat."

He added that polls of the state have shown Carter with an 8 to 10 per cent lead.

Another Carter staff member said en route to Detroit yesterday morning that the staff had considered adjusting the candidate's schedule today to allow a Carter appearance at Riverfront Stadium, but that the idea had been rejected.

However, the aide said later that the staff is considering having Carter attend the World Series game in New York City on Tuesday.