Stickwomen Hang on to Edge Huskies

Linsley, Howard Score Goals in 2-1 Victory

By David Clarke

The Radcliffe stickwomen scored two quick goals yesterday and then held on for a nail-biting 2-1 victory over North-eastern. Crimson goalie Ellen Seidler was severely tested late in the first half, but allowed only the single Huskie goal, and in the second half the 'Cliffe defense was hard pressed but refused to allow a single shot on goal.

The home-standing Crimson started slowly, but then Sarah Mleczko took the ball into the Northeastern end for the first time, charging halfway to the Huskie net before being separated from the ball. Seconds later, the freshman took a long shot from the right side, and Crimson teammate Karen Linsley was there to put home the rebound. Radcliffe led, 1-0.

Shortly thereafter, Mary Howard drilled in a long shot from the top of the circle, and the Crimson seemed on their way to a laugher. As the half rolled on, steady right link Stefi Baum and the hard-charging Linsley dominated the play on either side of the field, but the stickwomen were unable to cash in for a third score.

As the intermission neared, Northeastern came to life, and suddenly the whole game seemed to swirl around the Crimson net. Seidler made one brilliant save and then turned aside a bouncing shot before finally being beaten for the goal that cut the Crimson lead to 2-1.

Thwarts Two

Before the half mercifully ended, the 'Cliffe net minder had to thwart two more scoring bids.

In the second half, Northeastern kept the ball in the offensive end, but a swarming Crimson defense kept the Huskies at bay. The best they could muster were some long shots that streaked wide of the goal while Seidler hovered over them like a hawk.

Tigers Next

The stickwomen greeted the final whistle with both sighs of relief and leaps of joy after having defeated one of the toughest foes they will face this year. But they take on the even tougher Tigers on Saturday, when they travel south to face Princeton.