Good, But What Does It Mean

LAUREATES

By Sandy O. Steingard

When Walter N. Lipscomb Jr., Lawrence Professor of Chemistry, received his Nobel Prize this week, the significance of his work eluded most non-scientific minds.

His study of a large group of compounds known as boranes doesn't have the glamour of medical research or the mystique of the theory of relativity. Lipscombe's work, however, was fundamental because it answered questions about the basic and formerly unknown nature of a large group of chemical bonds.

Lipscomb began studying the interactions between boron and hydrogen in the early '50s. Using a technique known as X-ray crystallography, he determined the structure of molecules containing these atoms (called boranes or boron hydrides) and went on to establish a sound theoretical basis for that structure.

These molecules have unusual binding because they used a three-centered bond where two electrons are shared among three nucleii.

Normally, only two electrons and two nucleii form a chemical bond.

One characteristic of boranes is their ability to attract radiation. If boranes can be combined with chemicals that are present in tumor cells, they could help to localize the effects of radiation applied to cancer patients.

Although Lipscomb's initial research was so basic that it was not designed for any practical application, the study of these types of molecules in cancer therapy has already begun.

Limpscomb began the week with champagne celebrations and cheerful interviews. By Friday, however, he had gotten back into his new research of proteins and no longer had time to see reporters.