'Cliffe Booters Cop Pair

Trounce Tufts, Outshoot BC

By Jonathan J. Ledecky

"Don't worry about it, our goals will come in clusters," Radcliffe soccer mentor Bob Scalise said to his underlings after a lengthy varsity scoring drought and scrimmage losing streak. Color Scalise a prophet as a result of weekend victories over Boston College (5-2) and Tufts (2-0).

Freshwoman Kathy Batter will go down in the annals of history as scoring Radcliffe's first varsity contest goal. The talented halfback possesses excellent endurance and speed, attributes that enable her to spearhead the 'Cliffe attack.

Unlike many of her novice teammates, Kathy is a booting veteran and was "all over the field making marvelous passes and tackles," Scalise said.

Center-forwards Sally Kingsberg and Jan Pelletier each notched a pair of goals in the BC triumph. Sally didn't dally, sparking a rally with her tally, and is an opportunist who has the uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Frosh Kingsberg and left-wing Karen Fifer both swooshed the twines in the Tufts triumph.

Playmaker Sarah Wright is a versatile freshwoman who plays either wing with equal aplomb. Wright's ambipedacious execution of crosses towards the goal mouth has resulted in several assists during the recent scoring binge.

Best Offense

"The best offense is a good defense" could be imbedded on sweeperback Hilary Erf's jersey. The lanky sophomore has been the main bulwark on defense in previous outings, which include a 3-0 loss to Yale in New Haven and a 2-0 whitewashing by Brown in Providence.

Erf has glued the defense together, and reads unfolding plays quite efficiently through superb anticipation.

Sophomore Paula Levhin, recently shifted from forward to center-fullback, helps shore up the defense for goalies Lisa Weissman and Irene Kancandis. Fresh-woman Margo McGlade and Vera Fajtova have done the deed at the fullback slots, styming adversary thrusts toward 'Cliffe turf.

Like a fine muscatel, the 35-woman squad has improved with age and experience in its initial season. Scalise, who receives no remuneration in the Radcliffe soccer post while doubling as Harvard freshman soccer coach, has de-emphasized the "winning is everything" approach.

"My major objective is to teach, drill and introduce the squad to the intracacies of the sport," he said.

Radcliffe nevertheless will have revenge in mind when it hosts Brown tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. "We're much better now than when we played them a month ago," Scalise said, "and we've broken the ice in scoring."