Injuries Plague House Football Jocks Kirkland House Backfield Hit Hardest

By Lillian C. Jen

Injuries to house football players are causing concern in the Athletic Department, Robert B. Watson '37, director of athletics, said yesterday.

Watson said the department made efforts this year to insure that the players would be in shape to play, including the requirement that each team submit a roster of its players and their past injuries.

The department also requires the teams to hold three practice sessions a week to aid the players in their conditioning efforts.

Watson said, however, that injuries could result when out-of-shape players who are not on the roster enter the game in borrowed uniforms.

A member of the especially injury-plagued Kirkland House team said none of the injured on his team had been playing in a borrowed uniform.

Nor have the injuries occurred to players who were out of shape or inexperienced, he said.

All three of the Kirkland House casualties played freshman or varsity football last year. Doug MacGillivray, Eliot's coach, said the two injuries on his squad also occurred to players who have been involved in varsity sports.

Cory Wolfersberger, who left the Kirkland backfield last Thursday by ambulance for a knee operation, said his accident was unrelated to his condition or previous injuries.

Wolfersberger said although his injury could not have been avoided, the number of injuries might be decreased by spacing the games further apart to allow more time for recuperation between them.

The games are currently played on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Except for Kirkland House, most of the teams have had only minor injuries, although these have been numerous.

Simon Snyder, whose undefeated Leverett squad had "cuts and sore thumbs" from their Kirkland match, said he could not explain the injuries Kirkland suffered in that game. He noted, however, that his team was very psyched for the game because Kirkland was the "team to beat."

Floyd S. Wilson, director of Intramural Athletics, said that the number of injuries this year was not unusual.