Roberts Goes for Roses

By James D. Auran

Sally Roberts advanced three rounds without a defeat yesterday in the New England Intercollegiate Women's Tennis Championships at Amherst, Mass.

As the sun rose on a crisp 30-degree morning, unseeded Roberts dispatched her first foe 6-1, 6-1.

"You wouldn't have believed it," Roberts said yesterday, adding, "I played in a ski parka, gloves and hat."

Unaffected Cool

The cold didn't affect Robert's game, though, as she crunched Nancy Mooney of UMass, 6-0, 6-0, and finished the day with a surprising 6-2, 6-2, victory over Carrie Hickman, a strong player from the University of Maine, Portland, who upset the number eight seed earlier in the day.

A second Radcliffe singles player, Abby Greenbaum, fell in the first round, 4-6, 1-6 to Jan Burton, of Florida.

Greenbaum continued in the consolation bracket, receiving a bye in her first round and pulling past her next opponent, 7-5, 6-0.

The Crimson originally planned to send a pair of doubles teams to the Championships but due to academic conflicts, the women were unable to leave school.

The three-day tournament continues today, as women from over 40 schools fight to climb up the ladder to the quarterfinals. Semifinals and finals will take place Sunday.

Radcliffe will wind up its fall season November 6, as they take on Port Washington, an undefeated team that has beaten both Yale and Princeton this year. The racquetwomen currently hold a 7-2 record.