Political Education

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Mr. Moynihan has certainly "taken something away" from my education, if not that of the Soc Sci 115 student quoted by The Crimson.

Near the beginning of this school year I applied to Moynihan's graduate seminar, Ethnicity in Politics. I had more enthusiasm for the course than had the senatorial candidate, it now appears.

On the first day of the course, a Tuesday, Mr. Moynihan did not arrive because, said an assistant, "pains in the Professor's neck" precluded air travel. An extra Wednesday session was scheduled for those who were free, which a poll revealed to be less than half of the people present. All were to submit three-page applications for admission.

Because of my schedule I did not attend the special class, and returned Tuesday only to find Moynihan, "liking the size," had made the Wednesday change permanent. Another student described this selection method very simply: "devious." Registration was the next day. By coincidence, the change created a two-day teaching schedule for Moynihan.

The point? Mr. Moynihan descends from the clouds and media one day less; and several students learn nothing of ethnicity in politics, but plenty of celebrity at Harvard. Whatever will New York learn?

Oh, Mr. Buckley, if you must, please use all of my letter in your petty, joyless, losing campaign. David W. Oaks '77