Yale: Elis Coming

By Marc M. Sadowsky

John Pagliaro. That's the name of the Yale running back who has been running through the Ivy League this year and could lead the Elis to their first victory over Harvard in three years.

In eight games, Pagliaro has gained over 895 yards in 154 carries, averaging 5.8 yards per carry. He is the main reason why Yale's ball control offense, which kept the ball for 45 minutes against Penn, has been so successful.

Carmen Cozza, the Eli coach whose record against Harvard is 4-6-1 calls Pagliaro "a great running back. He's in the same class as Dick Jauron and Calvin Hill." Pagliaro has already passed Hill's season scoring mark, notching 15 touchdowns, and is closing in on Dick Jauron's 1971 season of 930 yards.

Yale has help from other running backs, too. Fullback Mike Southworth has contributed 433 yards to Yale's offense, and halfback John Hatem has gained 280 yards. Yale's quarterback Stone Phillips has also chipped in with 199 yards.

The Eli passing attack isn't nearly as potent as it was last year when Gary Fencik made 42 catches for 729 yards. This year, Yale receivers have pulled in a total of 40 passes. Phillips has thrown less than half as many passes as Jim Kubacki, but of the 59 he's thrown, 31 have been completed.

Four sophomores are starting on Yale's defense which has been the best in the Ivies, including two of Yale's three defensive backs. Defensive halfback Kurt Nondorf and safety Steve Akrovan are both sophmores who won starting positions after starters in those positions were injured. Between them, they have made 28 tackles and intercepted eight passes.

Another sophmore, linebacker Bill Crowley, is second on the team in tackles. Linebacker Jeff Waller is leading the team in this category with 82.

Yale's major weakness likes in the area of punting and place-kicking. Southworth has been doing the punting, in addition to his fullback chores, but has been averaging only 34.3 yards per punt. Last year, Southworth averaged 38.2 yards.

Placekicker Randy Carter is also having an off year. He's only been able to make four out of nine field goals, none from more than 40 yards out, and 18 of 22 extra points. In 1975, Carter hit eight of 12 field goals and 21 of 22 PAT's.

The key to the Game, though, will still be the Yale offense, which will have to control the ball as it has during most of the season.

Cozza hasn't made any predictions about the outcome. "I'm hoping we can win it," he said. "It should be a good ball game."