Novelist Bellow Will Teach Course At Brandeis

By Laurie Hays

Saul Bellow, novelist and Nobel laureate, has accepted an invitation to teach at Brandeis University as the Hiatt Visiting Professor of English for the fall semester next year.

John Goldstein, dean of the Brandeis faculty, said yesterday that Bellow visited the university last spring, "and I guess that he liked what he saw at that time."

Although Brandeis and Bellow have not decided what kind of course he will teach, John H. Smith, chairman of the English department there, said yesterday, "I expect he will teach whatever he would like."

Disbelieving

"Bellow has said publicly that he does not believe in teaching writing, so I think he will teach a literature course, or something similar to that," Smith added.

The 61-year-old novelist, who recently won the Pulitzer Prize for his book, "Humboldt's Gift," and the Nobel Prize for literature this year, is currently a professor of English at the University of Chicago.

The sixth American to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, Bellow has won three National Book Awards and has received honorary degrees from Harvard, Yale, Brandeis, McGill and Northwestern universities.

Brandeis also announced the appointment of Alexandra Bellow, the novelist's wife, as the Ziskind Visiting Professor of Mathematics. Alexandra Bellow has taught mathematics at Northwestern University since 1967.