Walter Piston 1894-1976

THE DEATH of Walter Piston, Naumberg Professor of Music Emeritus and one of America's leading twentieth century composers, represents a great loss to contemporary music itself, but is a particular sadness for the Harvard music community, which he influenced and enhanced during his illustrious 34 continuous years of teaching in the department.

The two-time Pulitzer Prize winner who shouldered a full- time teaching schedule on top of his composing for a perpetual flood of commissions, continually amazed his colleagues and students with his energy. Although he began studying music seriously only as a 26-year-old freshman here, he graduated summa cum laude and returned a short year later to join the music faculty and conduct the Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra.

Piston's music has been played by virtually every orchestra here and abroad, and his definitive textbooks have influenced two generations of musical thought. But along with his musical integrity and insight, he is remembered by his colleagues and proteges at his alma mater for his sense of humor and good feeling toward his work and students. Numbered among these students who later became prominent figures in music are Leonard Bernstein, Gunther Schuller, and Elliot Carter.