Freshmen Remain Undefeated; Defense Shuts Off Brown, 14-8

By Mark D. Director

The freshman gridders turned in their strongest defensive effort of the season as they defeated Brown, 14-8, at Soldiers Field Friday. Holding the Bruins to only 32 yards rushing and 77 yards in the air, Coach Loyal Park's undefeated yardlings upped their season record to 5-0.

The afternoon was also a productive one for star receiver Gary Confer, who caught six passes for 88 yards. Confer leads the team in receiving.

Driving Deep

Harvard opened quickly, driving deep into Brown territory early in the first quarter. However, a penalty nullified a 17-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Burke St. John to Confer. Perry Morita's subsequent 38-yard field goal attempt fell short.

An interception by Harvard linebacker Mike Sabeti set-up the first score of the game. On the first play after the interception, leading rusher Ron Jellison took the ball 15 yards on an end sweep to give Harvard the lead. Ron Stewart added the extra point, making the score 7-0.

After a quiet third quarter, Harvard increased its lead when fullback John Hollingsworth bulled into the end zone from five yards out. Stewart's extra point upped the score to 14-0.

Brown's only score came late in the game when Harvard's Dave Millard, standing on his own goal-line, tried to punt against a ten-man Bruin rush. Brown's Eric Michaelman blocked the kick, and recovered the ball in the end zone for the score. Bruin Don Place easily ran the ball in for a two-point conversion to make the score 14-8.

Harvard's defense, which began the scoring with an interception, ended the scoring when Carl Hargrave recovered Bruin quarterback Mike Kachmer's fumble with 2:40 to go.

The freshmen will shoot for a perfect record in the season finale against Yale, Friday at 2:30 p.m. at Soldiers Field.