Radcliffe Futures

News Shorts

By Scott A. Kripke

Harvard's General Education program is "inadequate and indefensible," James Q. Wilson, Shattuck Professor of Government, yesterday told delegates to the Radcliffe College Alumnae Council.

The council members conclude their annual three-day convention today.

Wilson heads the task force on core curriculum which recently recommended the replacement of Natural Science, Humanities and Social Science General Education groupings with a more restrictive program of required liberal arts courses outside the area of concentration.

Wilson's speech was only one of a series of talks sponsored by and for the Radcliffe Council delegates. Members have heard President Horner, L. Fred Jewett '57, dean of admissions, Mary Anne Schwalbe, director of admissions, Seamus P. Malin '62, director of financial aid, and Dean Rosovsky, among others. The series of talks and discussions focused on the economic and academic futures of Radcliffe and Harvard Colleges.

The council delegates interviewed yesterday were generally pleased that Radcliffe has maintained its own identity, and has not "become lost in Harvard," as Dorothea P. Flint '12 said yesterday.

Flint said that she feels, "the coming of an inevitable equality" and does not fear future identification of Radcliffe with Harvard.