Democrats Control Congress; Republicans Add Some Seats

House

By Erik J. Dahl and Laurie Hays

For the 22nd consecutive year, Democrats will continue to control the House of Representatives and last night's elections succeeded in guaranteeing that party a two-to-one majority in the 94th Congress.

With 218 seats required for a majority, Democrats had won or were leading in 260 seats as of 2 a.m. today. The Republicans had won 75 seats and were leading in 53, for a total of 128 seats.

With more than half the House races decided, only five seats had switched from one party to the other.

Republicans captured previously Democratic seats in New Jersey in Missouri and in Pennsylvania. Democrats picked up Republican seats in Ohio and Nebraska.

Last night's figures showed that the number of women and blacks in the House will not change.

The outgoing House, dominated by Democrats elected on the heels of the 1974 Watergate scandals, elected in usually Republican districts, was expected to lose some Democratic seats in these areas.

While Watergate had faded into the past, sex and payroll scandals and allegations of wrongdoing plagued the Democratic 94th Congress. It did not appear, however, that these would be decisive in many races.

Only two incumbents seeking re-election had lost their seats as of 2 a.m. today.

Rep. Henry Helstoski (D-New Jersey), lost to Republican Harold C. Hollenbeck, and in Pennsylvania, Republican Marc L. Marks defeated incumbent Joseph Vigorito.

Even before the polls opened, Democrats had a start towards retaining control. Forty-four per cent of their candidates had no major party opposition.

The exact composition of the new House depends on the outcome of fewer than 100 races that are considered contests. The rest of the 435 seats were considered safely in the hands of incumbents or of the parties to which departing members belonged.

The campaigns leading up to yesterday's elections were marked by heavy spending by past standards for House races.

In addition to the funds raised by the candidates, central party committees poured in substantial amounts of money. Republican spending was more than four times as much as the corresponding Democratic organizations.

The disparity led to some nervousness among Democrats about the last minute effect of media drives and mailings, but they surged toward renewed domination of the House.