Crimson Slices Through MIT Fencers

Foil Trio Leads Team to Victory

By Lillian C. Jen

The Harvard and Radcliffe fencing teams slashed through their MIT rivals last night in the opening match of the season, the Harvard team outdueling its Engineer opponent, 15-12, while Radcliffe topped the MIT women 10-6.

Harvard completely dominated the foil contest, with sophomore Eugene Vastola and co-captain John Major both turning in perfect 3-0 performances, and Eric Mandelbaum holding out for an impressive 2-1 contribution. Vastol particularly shone, polishing off one opponent 5-0 before he knew what was happening to him, while Major held up in a tension-fraught atmosphere to win the decisive bout of the match.

Run'em Through

Chris Jennings came through with his sabre to finish a strong 2-1. But with Mike Berrer out with a back injury, the rest of the sabre showing was weak.

Jennings also finished 2-1 with his epee, but the rest of the epee-welders gave a feeble performance which coach Branimir Zivkovic attributed to a lack of discipline.

Major added that because so many of the team's players are young and inexperienced, it is hard to say how the season will go until the crucial match against NYU, December 11.

Radcliffe freshman Kathy Lowry and captain Leonida Rasenas gained victories, while freshman teammate Nancy Cooper finished the second match of her life with a respectable 2-2. Debby Size also turned in a 2-2 showing.

Rasenas said her squad is looking forward to a good season with new blood, a good coach and a lot of new enthusiasm.

MIT squeaked by the Harvard J.V. in a tough contest, 14-13, and the Radcliffe J.V. went down to defeat, 10-6.