So you want to be a reporter

By Mark Twain

"When I came out West, I had to support myself. But I was very particular about the kind of job I would take. I didn't want to work, y'see. So I got a job as a newspaper man. Lord, I hated to do it, but I couldn't find honest employment."

Yes, it's true. The news is a twisted mess, and it's not always easy to get to the bottom of it. (But you can do it.) Putting out a newspaper means more than rewriting press releases. Come to The Crimson and we'll show you.

The News Board

Reporters on the news board cover beats in the University and Cambridge. Write features and sports, news analyses and profiles. Go to Plains with Jimmy Carter, to Washington with Henry Kissinger, to New York with Pat Moynihan. The coverage is as good as you make it--and that means it must rival the best.

The Editorial Board

Someone once said the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral crisis, go fishing. Don't be taken in by other people's opinions. Shape their opinions instead--about politics, books, movies. About anything you think should come to the public's attention.

The Photography Board

News photography can't be done with a Kodak Instamatic. You can learn it on the job from people who know how--and The Crimson will supply equipment. Catch the people who make the news as they're making it. And remember, they give Pulitzers for photography too.

Join The Crimson's 104th winter comp.

Competition is probably the wrong word. You won't be competing against anyone else--we look for talent, improvement, eagerness. And a lot of hard work. Come find out more at The Crimson, 14 Plympton St.