Harvard Aquawomen Sink Wellesley

Freshmen Lead Swimmers to 83-37 Triumph

By Karen M. Bromberg

The Radcliffe swimming team submarined a floundering Wellesley squad last night, 83-87, at Wellesley. This was the second meet of the season for the Crimson, following a narrow defeat by B.U. on Saturday.

Although the competition was not wave-shattering, the young team demonstrated its ability by turning in strong performances. Freshman Jane Fayer splashed to three first place finishes, in the 50,100, and 500 yard freestyle events.

Maura Costin, another of the powerful freshman swimmers, won the 100-yd. butterfly and the 100-yd. individual medley, as well as nabbing second in the 100-yd. backstroke.

The Crimson women also sank their opponents in the breast-stroke events Sophomore Nancy Nanoff, who had been plagued by a hip injury for months and had been sidelined from her main events is now back on the race course. She cruised to victory in the 100-yd. breast-stroke with a time of 1:22.1 and in the 50 (37:1).

Freshman freestyler Sharon Beckman won the 200-yd. race in 2:18. Co-captain Jane McNamara clinched second in the 50 fly. Leslie Landerfelder turned in impressive performances in both backstroke events while mary Ellen Mangano took second in the 500-yd. freestyle.

In the diving competition, Harvard easily outplunged the powerless Wellesley women as Molly Munch jack-knifed to victory. Freshman Sue Abkowitz, a week-old veteran of the diving well, nabbed second place in addition to splashing by her opposition in the 50-yd. butterfly.

Revenge

McNamara said that although Wellesley did not present a formidable challenge, "the victory will be a great psychological lift for the Brown meet." Brown defeated the Crimson last year and the home team is aiming for a reverse outcome in the upcoming confrontation this Saturday at 10:30 at the I.A.B.

Overwhelming victories are always sweet. The Harvard squad soundly drenched their weak Wellesley opponents but also proved in the process that they have outstanding ability. The result of this Saturday's contest against a strong Brown team will reveal the potential of this young squad.