Ed School Ph.D.

By Gay Seidman

The Committee on PhDs in Education yesterday recommended to the Faculty Council that the Faculty declare a five-year moratorium on admissions to the degree program, Sheldon H. White, professor of Psychology and chairman of the committee, said last night.

Eight students are enrolled in the program, which is offered and funded by the Faculty but is staffed by the Ed School.

The Ph.D. is Education was important when the Ed School was oriented toward professional training o teachers and school administers, White said, because it allowed students to explore more academic questions in education than they could have in the school's EDD program. But he added that "over the last few decades more and more people interested in academics are showing up at the Ed School."

The committee's recommendation will now go before a meeting of the full Faculty, which is responsible for all Ph.D. programs. If the Faculty approves the admissions moratorium, which is timed to allow students currently in he program to graduate, it will decide at the end of five years whether or not to retain the degree.