Relief for Guatemala

News Shorts

By John Blondel

The Harvard-Radcliffe Committee on Foreign Policy will set up tables in the 12 Houses and the Union by tomorrow to collect money or the victims of last Wednesday's earthquake in Guatemala, Robert Palay '77, the group's program coordinator, said yesterday.

All proceeds will be given to CARE, Palay said, because it "is the most respected organization in Guatemala. They have been there since 1958 and mobilized immediately after the disaster."

Government figures released Tuesday listed 17,000 people dead, 54,000 injured and 1,04,000 homeless.

El Mundo, the Spanish Daily newspaper in Cambridge, created the Guatemala Relief Fund. A spokesman for El Mundo said yesterday that the fund has been "very successful," filling four warehouses with food and medicine within the last week, and added that he is "very happy" with the support received from both the Spanish and English speaking communities in Cambridge.

The newspaper is presently looking for planes to fly the goods collected to Guatemala and is receiving assistance from both Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass) and Representative Thomas P. O'Neill (D-Mass), House Majority Leader, in its search for transport, the spokesman said.

"The need is immediate," Palay warned," Guatemala is in ruin."