CHUL to Consider Housing Proposals At Special Meeting

By Steven Schorr

The Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) will consider in today's special meeting a housing proposal that will retain the status quo for next year but "phase-out" four-year houses at the Quad by 1980.

The proposal also allows this year's freshmen to choose their House in the existing manner, but eliminates choice in the future by affiliating all freshmen with a House.

Lloyd David '77, CHUL representative from Dunster House and author of the proposal, said yesterday that "having freshmen in the Quad is desirable, but insuring that no sophomores are forced to live outside their House is more important."

Jeff Griffiths '77, CHUL representative from North House, said yesterday that some sophomores would still have to live outside their Houses even if all freshmen are housed in the Yard.

Davis Goodman '77, CHUL representative from Leverett House, said yesterday "Affiliation of freshmen has some advantages, but it would be better to affiliate them with at least two Houses to allow a larger number of students to become acquainted with the Quad."

The CHUL indicated in a straw vote last week that it favors the retention of four-year Houses at the Quad.

Francis M. Pipkin, associate dean of the faculty, said yesterday he expects more straw votes at today's meeting. "I doubt if we will have any substantive votes," Pipkin said.