Epps Reverses Soliciting Ban On Padan Aram Advertising

By Jonathan H. Alter

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, yesterday reversed a decision prohibiting Padan Aram, a new monthly poetry magazine, from soliciting advertising.

Epps's new decision, which came after consultation with student representatives of Padan Aram and The Harvard Advocate, allows the journal to advertise beginning with its April issue.

"I hope this will insure the continued existence of the journal," Epps said, adding that he doesn't expect the competition to seriously impair the Advocate's ability to get ads.

Padan Aram will be limited to $250 in advertising revenue per issue, Epps said. Douglas A. McIntyre '77, president of The Advocate, said yesterday he thinks the limitation is designed to protect the Advocate's advertising revenue.

Epps, McIntyre and Padan Aram editor Peter Baker'77 all said they do not expect the journal to detract from Advocate readership. Mcintyre said it is "difficult to determine" whether the decision will hurt the Advocate financially, but added that the literary journal is in better fiscal condition than last year.

Epps said yesterday he granted approval for advertising after determining that Padan Aram was a "successful production" but one that could not be supported solely by its patrons.

A record of previous publication failures convinced the administration to "expect undergraduate organizations to prove that they are conducting their financial affairs in a responsible manner," he said.