Med School Tops List

News Shorts

By Diane Sherlock

Harvard Medical School heads the list of "The Ten Best Medical Schools" in a composite survey in this week's "Medical Economics," a professional journal.

The survey, compiled from a 1974 professional poll and federal statistics, ranks the Medical School ahead of schools at the University of Chicago, Columbia, and seven other universities.

The survey examined the number of applicants, the percentage of graduates passing the state licensing exams, the production of board certified specialists, medical school faculty and deans, and the receipt of National Institute of Health research grants at each school.

Although Harvard ranked first in producing medical school faculty and deans, it was listed below the other schools in the numbers of applications received and the number of graduates who pass state licensing exams.

Harry Paxton, author of the article and a senior editor of Medical Economics, said Tuesday Harvard's low ranking in the state licenses is the result of "having taken a few academic gambles in leaning over backwards to admit disadvantaged students."

However, Robert S. Blacklow, associate dean for academic programs, said Tuesday that most Harvard students take the National Medical Boards instead of state licensing exams.