House Watchmen Moved From B&G To Harvard Police

By Joseph L. Contreras and Mark D. Stegall

Jurisdiction over House nightwatchmen passed from the Buildings and Grounds Department to the Security Section of the Harvard University Police last night and some night watchmen expressed fears yesterday over the possible effects of the change.

In addition to the change in jurisdiction, the watchmen will perform security functions the entire year and no longer, as in past years, work as custodians during the summer months.

One watchman, who asked not to be identified, said yesterday, "the watchmen are afraid of losing their seniority because of the switch of jurisdiction."

Edward L. Powers, director of Employment Relations, said yesterday that the fate of the watchmen's seniority will depend on the outcome of ongoing labor negotiations. The watchmen have worked without a contract since September 30.

Stephen R. Demesick, attorney for the Harvard University Employees Representative Association, said yesterday that the watchmen will have to leave the association and form their own union because federal law prohibits the membership of guards and non-guards in the same union.

One watchman complained about the effects of the jurisdictional change on schedules. "In the past, we only worked evening shifts, from five at night until one in the morning," he said. "Now we'll have to work graveyard shifts that are assigned to us. We'll have no say over our hours," he added.

Another watchman said the change may lead to a "crack-down on some of the less competent watchmen." "The police may want to add some young blood," he added.

David L. Gorski, chief of the Harvard Police, said yesterday that the change will "improve security by improving communications between the police department and the night watchmen."

Stephen S. J. Hall, Vice-President for Administration, said last night, "the change makes eminently good sense. It's been discussed for the past three years, but it was not until Gorski took over last year that we decided to make the change," he added