New Hampshire Primary Winds Up

Voting Analysis

By Joseph Dalton

Joseph Grand-Maison, a fellow at the Institute of Politics, is currently conducting a before-and-after analysis of the Massachusetts primary to be researched by about 30 to 35 student volunteers.

Victoria L. Radd '78, a member of the institute's Student Advisory Committee, said yesterday the students will study the campaigns of candidates entered in the March 2 primary to determine what campaign strategies appeal to voters.

Five Groups

They have been divided into groups of about five to study field organization, media strategy, finances and various other aspects of the candidates' campaigns to find out what candidates concentrated on, she said.

After the election, the students will conduct telephone interviews to find out whom people voted for and why. They hope the collected results will provide insight into why people voted the way they did.

Radd said this aspect of the research is unique, explaining that, "No one sticks around to see how their campaigns come out. They have to move on to New York or somewhere."

Grand-Maison managed the victorious campaign of Sen. John Durkin (D-N.H.) last year and also Gov. Michael S. Dukakis's successful 1974 campaign.